Big cheesy pigs in a blankets are not just appetizers anymore! Now you can eat them for dinner.
Recipe Hack / Cooking Tips:
- What the egg wash does: After you assemble the hot dogs, brush egg on the top to give it a nice crusty shine. Why this works is fun science. Proteins promote browning and eggs are filled with protein. When you add egg to the top of puff pastry or bagels the proteins heat up and it makes the bagel shine and brown. If you do not have egg use milk or butter to brush the pastry.
- Why puff pastry is so flaky: Puff pastry is layers of butter and dough. There are approximately 730 layers of butter in a typical puff pastry. The pastry needs to be cold before it goes in the oven. The reason is when you heat up the cold butter it will steam and push the pastry to form air pockets. This creates a layers and layers of flaky buttery dough.
- Why Salt Is In Most Recipes: Salt is so important in recipes because it’s a flavor enhancer. It makes food taste more like themselves. A great tip when making savory dishes. At the end taste your final product. If it does not zing, add a small amount of salt at a time and taste. Continue doing this until you taste it zing. Slowly add salt so you don’t over salt.
Things you will need:
Watch This Video On How To Make This:
Cheesy Pigs In Blanket For Dinner
- 6 hot dogs
- 1 sheet puff pastry (rolled out an extra inch all sides)
- 1 egg (whisked)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Chese Mixture Ingredients:
- 2 8 ounce cream cheese
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 3 scallions (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- First, combine all the cheese mixture ingredients in a bowl.
- Now, place one hot dog on the upper left corner of the puff pastry. Using the hot dog as a guide, cut a square out of the pastry that will fit around the whole hot dog. Watch the video above to see me do this.
- Next, remove the hot dog to spread a generous amount of the cream cheese mixture over the pastry square.
- Now place the hot dog back on the square and wrap the pastry around the hot dog, using the cream cheese as "glue" to hold it together.
- Next, brush the top of the pigs in a blanket with egg and then sprinkle with seasme seeds.
- NOTE: before putting in the oven, make sure the puff pastry is cold. If its not cold, put it in the fridge for 20 minutes first so you get the signature flaky puff pastry.
- Finally, cook in an oven at 400 degrees on the middle rack for 20 minutes.
Other Easy Pigs In Blanket Recipes:
Any question comment below or email! I love helping change the recipe!
My Favorite Ways To Save Money In The Kitchen:
Check Out This book! It changed my life and keeps me centered:
ANY QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS? COMMENT BELOW 🙂
With a grateful heart and an amazing tummy – Jay