This Jewish holiday leftovers turned into Jewish Shepherd’s Pie!
The holidays were allways so much fun growing up! Mama Goldstein made the best Jewish comfort food. We would wake up to the smell and sizzle applause of the potato lakes frying. The brisket would be tucked into a warm blanket of veggies in the oven, applesauce ready to meet it BFF latkes, and pigs in a blanket would be lined up in rows on sheet pans. Every time I cook for the holidays now I try to bring the flavors of my childhood home in NJ to my apartment in NYC! Just like my mom, I cook for 100 people even if only 2 are coming to dinner so we have lots of leftovers. This Jewish Shepherd’s Pie is my fun leftover recipe.
Tips For the Best Latkes:
- Use russet potatoes because they are heartier and have less water content so crisp up better.
- Grate 1/2 onion into the mix. My mom did this and it literally makes the latkes amazing.
- Squeeze out excess water from potatoes. Less water more crispy the latkes will be.
- I add cheddar cheese to bind the latkes instead of eggs.
- Make a giant sheet pan of latkes in the oven to same time and work: click here for recipe!
Happy Cooking and hope this makes your dinner easier!
Hope you love this recipe and I am always grateful for you! Happy Cooking!
Jewish Shepherd's Pie with Latke Crust (Leftover Brisket Recipe)
- 3 russet potatoes (grated)
- 1/2 onion (grated)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 scallions (chopped)
- 2 cups cheddar (grated) or vegan cheese
Shepherd Pie Ingredients:
- 3 cups leftover brisket (chopped)
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 1 bag frozen veggies or leftover veggies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup leftover gravy
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- First, butter a casserole dish.
- Next, add the frozen veggies, brisket, salt, pepper, butter and garlic powder. Mix and then add gravy if using.
- Now, mix all the latke ingredients and top the casserole.
- Finally, place the casserole on the middle rack for 25 minutes and then 5 minutes on top rack to crisp the potatoes. Sprinkles with scallions. Enjoy!
Great Healthy Articles:
- Top 6 Healthy Snacks You Can Buy On Amazon
- 7 Healthy Italian Comfort Food Recipes
- 10 Healthy Comfort Food Dinner Recipes
Any question comment below or email! I love helping change the recipe!
(Visited 81 times, 1 visits today)Subscribe for tasty, free recipes!