In Chop Happy land, bacon is a vegetable, and this is just one way I like to vegetable-ize: mix crispy bacon with sweet coconut milk and kale. This recipe is inspired by my absolute favorite appetizer at a wonderful restaurant in the Hamptons called East Hampton Grill. They make an amazing creamed spinach topped with a chicken fried oyster, so I decided to recreate this spinach with a few decadent tweaks of my own.
I use kale because it is really easy to cook. With fresh spinach, you have to cook down a huge amount to get enough for this recipe, and if you use frozen spinach, you have to defrost and drain. With kale, you just drop it in. The coconut milk adds a touch of tropical sweetness. I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! Happy comfort food-cooking!
For more easy, happy comfort food recipes, check out our Pinterest Page
Bacon Coconut Creamed Kale
- 2 bunches Kale (stemmed and chopped) (recommend dark kale)
- 5 strips bacon (chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 can creamed coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- First cook bacon on medium heat in a large pan until it is crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan and leave bacon grease in pan.
- Next add the garlic and stir 30 seconds.
- Now add kale and a pinch of salt. Mix to combine and let the kale wilt for 2 minutes.
- Add the whole can of coconut milk and mix to combine.
- Now reduce heat to medium low, and let sauce thicken for 3 minutes.
- Finally add 1 tsp salt, apple cider vinegar, red pepper flakes, and bacon.
- Stir and enjoy!
Your Dash Of Gratitude:
ANY QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS? COMMENT BELOW 🙂
With a grateful heart and an amazing tummy – Jay