I love pasta for breakfast, lunch and dinner! The ultimate pasta dish to me is carbonara.
The best part is the pasta gets coated with this creamy silky cheesy sauce and every bite is light yet has hearty flavor fun. I have a confession to make just amongst us. I used to not like eggs. Shhh don’t tell anyone! I am not sure why, but even as a kid when we would have birthday breakfast in our family I was the only one who chose bagels and lox. Everyone else chose bacon and eggs. As I got older I became more and more friends with eggs and we are now friends.
Since I was not an egg fan until recently, I never had creamy wonderful carbonara. My friend Amy asked me to make carbonara for her and (of course) if I was going to make carbonara it had to become a Chop Happy recipe! When I made the Kale and Bacon Carbonara Pasta my taste buds fell in love. It was so easy! All the articles I read said to be careful to not scramble the eggs. If you follow a simple technique of mixing cheese and egg before pouring it on to the pasta – you are all set!
Definitely try this recipe and watch the video so you can see my simple ways to make this in a snap.
5 Ingredient Chorizo Carbonara Pasta Recipe
- 1 pound Mexican chorizo
- 1 handful cilantro (chopped)
- 1 pound pasta (save 1 cup pasta water)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
Pantry Staple Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- First, cook pasta to 1 minute less then package instructions and reserve 1 cup pasta water.
- Now, combine eggs, black pepper, and parm cheese in bowl. Mix well and set aside for later.
- Next, on medium high add extra virgin olive oil and chorizo.
- Now, break up chorizo using potato masher, cook 2 min without touching,then turn and cook 1 min more.
- Next mix in pasta and pasta water and stir for 1 minute to let chorizo juices marry with pasta.
- Now turn off the heat and add the cheesy egg mixture. Stir immediately to combine pasta with cheese sauce.
- Next add the cilantro and enjoy!
Here is What the cheese mixture should look like (mixture will look gloppy)
Are you an egg’s best friend? If not … do what I did and try this out! Let me know if you become an egg-friend like I did 🙂
With a grateful heart and an amazing carbonara tummy – Jay